Friday 25 April 2014

On When the Sawyers visited Taiwan... Part I- Taipei



Even though it's actually only been about a month since our friends Candice and Tyler left, it sometimes feels more like we dreamt they were here than it actually happened. They have been a HUGE blessing to our lives since we met, and we have one of those amazing relationships where we can hang out either as a group or split up and do boy things and girl things and no one feels left out. I still sometimes can't believe they flew all the way here just to visit. They are amazing.

We toured Taipei for a couple days, got up early to head to church in Tainan Sunday morning, spent one day in Kaohsuing, and toured Tainan between work for the rest of their week here. I'm splitting it up into multiple blog posts. I'm claiming it either draws out the drama, or just breaks it up into readable chunks. Enjoy!!

Dave was able to meet up with them in Taipei first, and I followed a few hours later after I was finished work. We checked out Taipei 101, the zoo, the Maokong Gondola, some temples and the Ferris wheel, in amongst stopping for food, going to the Shilin Night Market, and riding around on the MRT. (Which, by the way, I actually miss a little bit. I LOOOVE driving around with Dave on the scooter, but the MRT is just SO convenient. But I would not, under any circumstances, trade living in Tainan for living in Taipei. I have fallen in love with this city.)

On average we had at least two cameras and a phone or two taking photos at any given time. So prepare to be bombarded....


Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall



World Panda exhibit on tour- there are something like 1,600 paper pandas that travel the globe hoping to raise awareness about these fantastic but endangered animals. You can read a tiny bit about the exhibit in Taipei here.
Unfortunately, I was still either in class or on the train so I missed them :( It was raining in Taipei, so they were covered in plastic. (You can see them in the background!)



101.


By day...


....and by night.


FINALLY together again!!



I LOVE this girl!!




(most of the above photos (except 101 and skylines) from T and C)


Just a quick note: these are, in fact Formosa bears, not Kodiak or black bears. They ARE Taiwanese bears. And yes, they're enjoying oreos (mint, blueberry ice cream chocolate and, of course, regular oreos seem to be the most popular here!)



Seriously, look at that hat!!


No mom! I'm not coming down!!


Always, always kids at heart. Even though in a few months Candy will have one herself!!



Candy's fav- a red panda!


Watching the gondolas.


Hi Claire! Hi Rob!



Somebody's a little excited about giraffe butts...






That's right.... castor CANADensis


That's a BIG fish!


I'm terrified of snakes. But Ty wanted a photo of one. Yuck.


Hello from outside AND inside the tree!!

(bottom photo from T and C)









Top of the mountain.


Our very first Taiwanese bubble teas were bought from this same vendor. But this time I was actually able to order them in Chinese!!



Taipei 101.


Yes, we knew he was photobombing. We encouraged him to stay!


Candice and I actually stumbled upon the boys looking just like this. No posing needed.


Farm at the top of the mountain. Imagine having gondolas go over your head every. single. day.




Headed down in a glass-bottomed gondola!


You should know I'm actually terrified of heights!


I think they're starting a collection of photos like these...


You boys look ridiculous.


We look lovely.


Nevermind.




No comments:

Post a Comment