Saturday 10 May 2014

On Mother's Day, when you're not a mom


This Sunday I won't get any cards. No one will buy me flowers. And I probably won't wake up to breakfast in bed.

You see, I'm not an actual mom. I haven't carried a little person inside my body for months, nor filled out countless papers to bring my baby home.

But I have children I love as much as if they were my own. Some call me auntie, some call me teacher.

It's not that I don't want my own, but rather that God has told me it's not time (if it was, I would be writing a different story). But trust me, when it is time I'll probably be one of those terrible people who will update you on my pregnancy, whether or not you ask, and will show you photos of my little munchkins in all their mud-flinging glory, and will be accessorizing with a macaroni necklace and a couple leftover pieces of lunch still clinging to my hair. (I'm totally kidding, those kinds of people are my favourite!)

I already know I won't have it all together,  nor will I always be calm. I know that sometimes I'll lose my temper, take my frustration out on my husband and forget to pack my kids lunch. I won't always be the most loving or caring or compassionate or forgiving person I should or need to be. But I will have an abundance of love.

How do I know?

Because those sweet little faces that ruin my clothes, put dirt and paper and food in my hair, wipe their boogers on my hands, fill my phone and camera full of photos, who have their pictures taped to my fridge and tucked into my drawers and who frequent my prayers often are already filling pieces of my heart.

Because I know that when the time comes, the love I feel for these nieces and nephews and students and 'adopted' (besties' kids) nieces and nephews will only be a portion of what I feel for my own. Because I know it absolutely can't and won't compare.

So for now, I'll practice patience. I'll work on staying more attached to memories and less attached to things. I'll enjoy the fact that right now our family is a family of two and travelling is a lot easier. I'll enjoy sleeping in on a Saturday and being able to leave my crafting items out wherever I want. I'll spend more time with my husband just the two of us because it won't last forever.

Moms, you rock.

And almost-moms and wanna be moms (in whatever form you come), I'm with you. You rock too.

Happy Mother's Day!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great article! Very well done and you celebrate 'women' on a very important day! Good job Steph.

    Gordon

    ReplyDelete